Our queen of all things sweet, Little Nell Pastry Chef Danielle Riesz, LOVES Halloween. For Danielle, there’s nothing like bobbing for apples, eating caramel apples and enjoying all the fun that comes with a holiday focused around candy and treats.
Each year Danielle and her team work to put together a fabulous Halloween-themed pastry amenity for each of our hotel guest rooms. (Sneak peak for this year — she’s planning some Halloween cupcakes, pumpkin lollipops and a bag of gourmet caramel corn.)
If you aren’t lucky enough to be a guest at The Little Nell to eat Danielle’s devilishly delicious items, you can make her famous caramel corn at home. Maybe even hand them out in little bags to trick-or-treaters… that is, if you feel like sharing.
Here’s what you’ll need:
5.2 oz. Corn Kernels
8 T Salad Oil
3 cups Brown Sugar
1 cup Unsalted Butter
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
2 T Kosher Salt
1 t Baking Soda
Optional – 1 cup Toasted Peanuts
Here’s what you’ll do:
– In a small pot, pop the popcorn with the oil and a lid over medium heat.
– Transfer popped corn to a bowl and keep slightly warm. Remove any unpopped kernels, and add peanuts here if you’re using them.
– Melt the butter in a medium-sized pot, add brown sugar and corn syrup. Bring to a boil and cook until 280F.
– Remove from heat and quickly stir in baking soda and salt. Pour over popped corn and stir until evenly coated.
– Pour out onto 2 silicone, non-stick baking mats, and with gloves on, separate the chunks into small pieces. Move fast, as the popcorn will harden very quickly.
Enjoy, and have a fun, safe Halloween in Aspen or wherever you are!