Our December Kids’ Cooking Class involved a lot of energy. Maybe it had something to do with the menu? Santa’s Candy Workshop was a hit.
The kids made Candy Cane Blossoms, Candy Cane Oreo Brownies, Santa Hat Chocolate Strawberries, Very Merry Sugar Cookies and Reindeer Sandwiches.
Here are a few recipes to recreate the fun in your home:
8 slices whole-wheat bread
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 cup strawberry jam
16 twisted pretzels
4 maraschino cherries
– Spread slices of bread with cream cheese and strawberry jam. Top each with another slice of bread to make a sandwich. Cut into four triangles.
– Set 4 triangles on each plate (the 4 triangles will make 4 reindeer, so they should have room between them). One corner of each triangle should point toward the side of the plate facing you.
– Stick 2 raisins near the top (wide) side to make eyes.
– Place 1/2 a cherry at the lower corner of the nose.
– Break twisted pretzels in half to make antlers at each of the top corners.
– Repeat for all triangles and serve.
Brownie Strawberry Santa Hats
1 pan of brownies
1/2 cup unsalted butter – softened
3 cups powdered sugar
3 TB half and half
1/2 t vanilla
– Cut the brownies using a one inch circle cutter. Push down on the cutter, twist it and lift up with a fork. Then push the brownie in on the top and bottom so that the circle is flat on top and bottom.
– For frosting, combine butter, powdered sugar, half and half, vanilla in large bowl. Beat with a mixer for 2 minutes, or until fluffy.
– Next place frosting in a zip lock bag and snip off the corner. Then swirl a little frosting on top of the brownie.
– Put the strawberry on and add a little dot of frosting on top to complete the Santa hat.
The next kids’ cooking class at The Little Nell is January 20 at 3:45. Cost is $30 per class. Contact Nancy at 970-920-6319 to reserve a spot.